Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kickin' Collard Greens



Okay, this recipe is from allrecipes.com.  I thought it would be a good idea to find a healthier alternative to typical southern-prepared collards, since they really are good for you.  It's a pretty good recipe, but next time I will add more red pepper and give it a little more zing, like they suggest.  If you are used to the usual fatback-laden, way-cooked collard, be prepared for a different experience!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used extra virgin)
3 slices bacon
1 large onion, chopped ( I used yellow)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt (I used Kosher)
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces (as you can see below, I opted for the bagged fresh collards.  These definitely need to be cut smaller and I would also remove any large ribs.)






1.  Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat (I used a dutch oven).  Add bacon and cook until crisp.  Remove bacon from pot, crumble it and return to the pot.  Add onion, and cook until tender, approx. 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until just fragrant.




2.   Add collards and fry until they start to wilt.



3.  Pour in chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (next time I will use a little more seasoning).  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes--I would go a little longer--until greens are tender.



Source:  Ken Adams, allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment