Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fresh Courage Take


The 24th of July is a day that members of the Latter-day Saint faith celebrate. It is called Pioneer Day. A day that we commemorate the early members of the church finishing their trek westward and settling in the Salt Lake Valley (in Utah). In church we often will sing a song titled Come, Come, Ye Saints. This is one of my very favorite hymns.


When I sing this, many things will come into my mind. I think about the pioneer heritage that I have. I think of my ancestors walking across the plains in search for religious freedom. I think of their great courage, and hope that their faith and hope are still alive in me today. I also think about how we all are pioneers in some way or another. I also think how we all have trials today, and Heavenly Father is there, waiting to help us. 

My very favorite stanza from this song is in the second verse....

 Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
’Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight?
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we’ll have this tale to tell—
All is well! All is well! 

 How often do I find myself in a woe as me attitude? I put this verse into 'today's language' and apply it to my light often! Afflictions, illnesses, situations, seem to bring me down at times. Why should I morn and think my lot is hard? Why should I think that I'll get to my goal if I don't fight for it! (hello! baby weight that desperately needs to be lost!) So, I need to buck up and fresh courage take. Heavenly father knows me and nows my situation. He is there waiting to help. I know he will be there when I ask. So really, All is well, All is Well!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Emily! I am now resolved to be a little tougher and to quit whining. :)

    ReplyDelete