Monday, July 23, 2012

Cheesecake Berries

I had some friends over a few nights ago and wanted to try some new recipes that were collecting dust in my "Recipes to Try" Pinterest board.  I needed something simple, easy, and tasty.  BINGO!

I think this will be my new go-to treat to bring to parties and showers, or just to eat in the privacy of my closet while my children clean the kitchen.

I can dream can't I?

Ingredients:
a carton of strawberries (there were about 20 in mine)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
graham cracker crumbs (it doesn't take much)
chocolate or vanilla melts for decor (optional)

1.  Wash the strawberries, drain completely, and dry completely.   With a pairing knife, begin coring out the middle of each berry down through the stem.  For me this was easiest while holding the pairing knife higher up on the blade with maybe and inch of blade actually exposed beyond my fingers.  Work slowly until you get a feel for it.  You want a nice, roomy area for the yummy cheesecake filling; just don't go all the way through the berry.

2.  In a mixer blend together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Scoop this mixture into a zip-top baggie, seal the bag, and snip off one corner.  You can always snip off more if the hole's not big enough, so be stingy with your cut.  Holding a berry in one hand, use your other hand to squeeze the cheesecake-baggy mixture into the strawberry holes, allowing the filling to come up out of the berry just a bit.
3.  After filling the berries, either sprinkle on or dunk the tops of the berries with graham cracker crumbs.
4.  Place the berries on a cooling rack with a sheet of wax paper underneath.  Melt your chocolate and drizzle over the berries.  A tip here:  don't try to "draw" the lines onto the berry.  This will make for a sloppy job.  Just quickly go back and forth over the berry, letting some of the chocolate go past the berry on each side.  I had a lot of melted decor here so I did lines in two directions.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.  YUM!

I think next time I will:

  • double the berries and one-and-a-half the cheesecake mixture.
  • try a chocolate cheesecake filling.
  • not invite people over so I can have more for myself.  (Just kidding.  Sort of.)

Source:  Sugar Derby via Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. These look good. I usually suffer from cheesecake burnout--I know y'all, but really there are just so darn many recipes out there and all the restaurants serve it in one form or another and not usually in the best form, but I digress--but I think I would actually like these!

    ReplyDelete