Monday, August 8, 2011

Dishwasher Detergent

I'm no stranger to homemade cleaning products.  We try to make our own window cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, and even laundry detergent.  But I guess I never let my brain explore the possibility of homemade dishwasher detergent.  About a week ago , though, I was cleaning the kitchen and loaded up the dishwasher only to realize we were out of detergent.  My husband asked if I had a "recipe" for a homemade version.  Well, I do now.  Other than a few tiny spots here and there, it works wonderfully well.

Ingredients:
1 part baking soda
1 part Borax

White vinegar

1.  Combine the baking soda and borax in a plastic container with a lid.  Use 2 Tbsp. per dish load.
2.  Pour white vinegar into the rinse compartment.  It will be your rinse agent.  (You don't have to pour this in each time.  Just check it each time to make sure it has enough.  There should be a fill line on it to show you how much is in there.)

NOTE:  This is probably best used either as a backup to your regular detergent (if you run out suddenly like I did) or as a way to save some money by alternating with your regular detergent.  I say this because after a few cycles it tends to start leaving glass dishes looking kind of cloudy.

Source:  tipnut.com

No comments:

Post a Comment