Friday, December 30, 2011

Puffy [German] Pancakes

I come from a German family. We make a lot of German food... SOMEHOW I never was introduced to this sweet little secret. Pancakes that you bake? Yum! I saw this recipe on a favorite blog and we had it for dinner the next night. It'll definitely be something I'll make over and over. (did I mention my husband and son LOVED these too??)


German Pancakes

Ingredients
5 large or extra-large eggs
1 cup of milk (more fat the better... I actually used some heavy cream mixed in with my milk)
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla
4 tablespoons butter

Directions
-Preheat your oven to 375-degrees.
-Place butter in a 9x13 dish and put the dish with butter in the oven while it is heating. Make sure the butter does not burn. Pull out once it's melted.
-While your butter is melting place rest of ingredients in a blender. For easier mixing, put the liquids in first. Blend until all of the flour is incorporated. You may have to pull out a spatula to scrape down the sides.
- With the melted butter in the pan, pour the flour mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. (17 or 18 minutes is usually the perfect time)
- When the pancake is done, it's sides will have risen high out of the dish and the middle will be slightly puffy. If it is completely flat in the middle you may want to give it another minute or two to be sure it is done.

*We served these pancakes with syrup and powdered sugar. I think nutella, fruit, or preserves would be tasty as well!

Source: MADE (aka... one of my favorite blogs to follow!)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my yumminess!!! I have been looking for this very recipe for YEARS!!!! When I was a teen (2 decades ago) a neighbor taught me how to make these; but I forgot. I've been thinking about them forever and trying to find the recipe. i found you on Pinterest (baked french toast from PDub) and will now have to be a regular follower of your wonderful blog. AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! Thank you for posting this! We had these growing up and I totally forgot about how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Robin and "Andrew and Audrey"! We're so happy to have you here!

    ReplyDelete