Friday, December 9, 2011

Grilled Steak with Herbs

I fell madly in love with Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food the moment I laid eyes on it. Even though it is sometimes a little pricey, I love to work in her wholesome, organic recipes where possible. A good friend of mine who lives in California was able to dine at her restaurant, Chez Panisse, last fall for her birthday and scored me an autographed copy of her 2nd cookbook, In the Green Kitchen, which I have spent equal time poring over.

One of my favorite recipes shows up in both of these books with very little variation. Try it the next time you're grilling steaks and you'll never go back to store-bought marinades or rubs again.




Mix together and rub into the steak:
3 Tbsp mixed chopped herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, savory or marjoram (I like to use at least 3 different herbs - more if I have them)
2 cloves of garlic, peeled or finely chopped (or minced)
1 1/2 tsp coarse/ Kosher salt
1 tsp fresh-ground black-pepper

Drizzle with:
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil




Let the steak sit for 1 hour at room temperature before grilling. My husband is the grill-master and likes to sear each side (for the cute little grill marks), then turn off the middle burners on our gas grill (where the steaks are lying) leaving on only the side burners to keep it warm enough to just barely cook. He likes a lot of pink and I'm convinced that's the best way to enjoy steak.



Source(s): In The Green Kitchen and The Art of Simple Food (both by Alice Waters)

2 comments:

  1. Holy COW that looks GOOD! Great...now I'm craving a steak! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there an emoticon for drooling? Got to try this.

    ReplyDelete