Thursday, January 17, 2013

School Food Trays

Today I thought I would share one of my favorite tips for eating in front of the TV.  Yes, I know this is totally discouraged in this day of finding ways to keep you from overeating--and meals in front of the "boob tube"are taboo in the diet culture.  But, really, we all do it because, if there are just two of you and the kitchen island is covered with the stuff of life and the dining room table is just too big, and you want to watch "The Five," then in front of the TV it is!






 Years upon years ago I read a wonderful book entitled "Simplify Your Life,"  The subtitle is "100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter."  Page 33 is on using food trays.  The author took herself on a personal retreat (awesome) and the place she stayed had a rule for taking food to your room--any food or drink leaving the kitchen had to be on a tray.  It saved on spills, crumbs, etc., and it's a great idea for taking food from your kitchen at home to your family room so that you can eat and view simultaneously.  I picked mine up at a thrift store.  They are school lunch trays.  The food in my picture looks like school food, too, LOL..but it was really yummy--and low fat-- and maybe I will share the recipes one day!

Source: Elaine St. James, Simplify Your Life.

2 comments:

  1. I use these too! I like them because they remind me to add veggies and fruits to the other spaces. I think they also help with portion control because everything is all spread out and seperated. The kids love eating off them instead of regular plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those compartments! And you are right, it is a good way to control portions and to make sure your meal is balanced. Good tips. Thanks!

      Delete