The original recipe calls for a filling, which we have used before as a frosting. Didn't use it this time but I've included it in case you would like to try it. I've also just made a simple chocolate frosting to use on these.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup Nutella
sugar for sprinkling
1. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugars. Add the egg and scrape sides of bowl. Add the Nutella until well combined. Mix in vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredient mixture to wet ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Using a scoop or your hands, form cookie dough into balls. Place on parchment on a baking sheet a couple of inches apart. Press tops of cookie balls with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool completely on racks. Frost or fill (or eat plain!).
Filling/Frosting6 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup Marshmallow Creme
1/2 cup Nutella
1. Cream butter and sugar together, then add vanilla and salt and mix well.
2. Mix together the Marshmallow Creme and Nutella with a whisk until it's light and fluffy. You can add more powdered sugar if the mixture is not thick enough to spread.
3. Use 1-2 Tbsp. of filling on half the cookies, then top each filled cookie with a plain cookie OR just frost all the cookies!
Makes about 2 dozen thin cookies
Source: Wish I could remember......somewhere on Pinterest!! Not my recipe, though. If I can find it I'll update here to link to the original site.