Thursday, June 19, 2014

How to Boil Eggs (and avoid the Green Yolks)

 
 
How many times have you boiled eggs for egg salad or Deviled Eggs or just to have some yummy hard-boiled eggs, and when you cut into the egg the yolk has that yucky green outer layer?  Ewww. Nasty. Well Mom taught me how to boil eggs so that doesn't happen and it works every time.  Here are Mom's instructions for No More Green (unless you are celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday, and then, by all means, green it up!).  Also, you will notice the baking soda listed.  I recently tried that trick while boiling eggs to help with the peeling process and it has worked, so far.
 
Ingredients:
water
eggs
baking soda
 
1.  Placed desired number of eggs in a saucepan.  Do not crowd them.  They need their space. 
 
2.  Put in enough tap water to cover the eggs.   I would start from cool water, not hot.  Don't ask me why.  I read it somewhere. Add a tablespoon or so of baking soda.
 
3.  Bring water to a rolling boil over high heat.  Once you reach a full, rolling boil, put a lid on the pan and remove pan from the heat .  Set a timer for 15 minutes and step away from the eggs.  Do not even lift the lid.  They are cooking away in the pan as we speak. Go do something else.
 
4.  After 15 minutes, drain off the hot water and immediately put eggs in a bowl of ice water.  This will stop the cooking process.  Let them chill out for a few minutes and then you can go in and start peeling away.  Cut the egg open and you will see beautiful, golden yellowness.  Proceed to use those babies any way you desire.  These went into a scrumptious, Fresh Spinach Salad. 

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across a Deviled Eggs recipe that advised me to hard boil my eggs in this manner! Now I know why! :)

    ReplyDelete