Monday, March 3, 2014

Serious Buttercream Frosting

Serious....because I got it from a great cake and frosting YouTuber by the name of SeriousCakes.  I remember the first time I found her on YouTube.....I was a nursing mom and would watch her tutorials in the middle of the night on my phone while I nursed my fifth child.  Good memories, albeit sleepy ones.  I love this recipe.  It's easy and it always turns out great for me.
I used this recipe to frost and decorate this cake I made for my mom a few years ago.

Ingredients:
22 Tbsp. salted butter, softened
2/3 cup Crisco shortening
5-7 Tbsp. heavy cream
2 tsp. clear vanilla
2 pounds powdered sugar
1-3 Tbsp. light corn syrup

1.  Cream the butter and shortening together in a mixer with the blade attachment.  You want the mixture to be pale yellow, almost white.
2.  Slowly add the cream while the mixer is going on a low speed.  Add in the vanilla and mix until blended.
3.  Very slowly (or you will be overtaken by a cloud of sugar dust) add the powdered sugar.  Be patient; this takes a while.
4.  Add the corn syrup slowly while the mixer is on low speed.
5.  Cover immediately with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.

Notes:

  • If you don't have clear vanilla, you can use regular.  It does affect the color slightly but I often use regular vanilla and it's fine.
  • It's great for decorating with bags and tips.
  • Makes enough for me to frost a layer cake plus 4-5 disposable icing bags (of course, this depends on how thick you apply frosting to your cake).
Source:  SeriousCakes on YouTube, you really should check out her tutorials!

1 comment:

  1. This is seriously good butter cream. And a lovely Mom cake.

    ReplyDelete