|I used this recipe to frost and decorate this cake I made for my mom a few years ago.|
22 Tbsp. salted butter, softened
2/3 cup Crisco shortening
5-7 Tbsp. heavy cream
2 tsp. clear vanilla
2 pounds powdered sugar
1-3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1. Cream the butter and shortening together in a mixer with the blade attachment. You want the mixture to be pale yellow, almost white.
2. Slowly add the cream while the mixer is going on a low speed. Add in the vanilla and mix until blended.
3. Very slowly (or you will be overtaken by a cloud of sugar dust) add the powdered sugar. Be patient; this takes a while.
4. Add the corn syrup slowly while the mixer is on low speed.
5. Cover immediately with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container.
- If you don't have clear vanilla, you can use regular. It does affect the color slightly but I often use regular vanilla and it's fine.
- It's great for decorating with bags and tips.
- Makes enough for me to frost a layer cake plus 4-5 disposable icing bags (of course, this depends on how thick you apply frosting to your cake).
Source: SeriousCakes on YouTube, you really should check out her tutorials!