Thursday, March 27, 2014

Caliente Chili Dip


 
 
 
 
 
I made salsa one day and it was a bit spicy.  So, thinking that I could speak a little Spanish to my Hispanic friend, I told her that the salsa was muy caliente. 
 
"Is it hot or spicy?" she asked. 
 
"Spi-cy." I said, slowly. 
 
 "Then it is muy picosa," she said. 
 
 Ahhh....there is a difference.  So that is why the name of my recipe is Caliente Chili Dip--because it is a heated dip; no picosa.  Decades ago I attended a women's conference and this item was one of the many finger foods served to us that day.  Everyone loves it and it was requested for our recent Super Bowl Bash--well, if you call me, my husband, my daughter, and my two grandsons who are 4 and almost 2 a BASH.  Yeah.  But it was still fun.
 

Ingredients:
1 15-oz. can Chili with Beans
1 15-oz. can Chili, No Beans
8 oz. cream cheese
1 small can diced green chilies

1.  Put all the ingredients in a non-stick skillet or pan.  Cook over medium to medium-high heat until the cream cheese is completely melted.  Stir to mix well.

2.  Serve with Fritos Scoops, to get more dip in your chip.

TIPS:  For a healthier version, use Turkey Chili and neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese).  When serving, I like to use a chafing dish, so that the dip stays hot (caliente).

No comments:

Post a Comment