Thursday, October 24, 2013
Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
A Pinterest find, of course. And a healthier version of any creamy white sauce you can imagine! Add a little Parmesan cheese and you will swear you are eating Alfredo sauce. Check out my source and you will see that she has created a whole ebook of recipes for this little gem. Stay tuned here for a yummy tortellini recipe that I used this sauce in last week. The picture is the teaser!
8 large cloves garlic, minced
2 T. butter
5-6 cups cauliflower florets (one good-sized head)
6-7 cups vegetable broth or water (I used chicken broth because that is what I had on hand)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 cup milk
1. Saute the minced garlic with the butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook for several minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant, but not browned (tip from Source is that browned or burnt would taste bitter). Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Bring the water or broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes or until fork tender. DO NOT DRAIN.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cauliflower pieces to a blender. Add 1 cup broth or cooking liquid, sauted garlic, salt, pepper, and milk. Blend or puree for several minutes until the sauce is very smooth, adding more broth or milk to desired thickness.
4. Serve hot. If the sauce starts to look dry, add a few drops of water, milk or olive oil.
5. I added some Parmesan cheese and cooked until incorporated. Yummy.
Source: Pinch of Yum.