Friday, August 16, 2013

Pureed Fruit Muffin


School is starting and kids need a good healthy breakfast to get the day started right!  This muffin recipe and a smoothie is a great way to get your kids the nutrition they need. The kids love it, in fact my 9 year old son can make it himself!  It is healthy, vegan, and YUMMY!

Pureed Fruit Muffins

1/2 c. coconut oil (you can use butter but I like coconut oil better)
3/4 c. dark brown sugar (or sucanat)
1 c. pureed fruit (fresh or bottled)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. soda
1/2 t. salt

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Note: Some fruit suggestions are: applesauce, apples, bananas, peaches, and pineapple.  I also will add spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger.  This recipe is very forgiving so play with it and find what your family loves.  Enjoy!

Source: Annie Miller



7 comments:

  1. I've whipped these up twice this week already. I used pureed apples with the skins on and shredded zucchini in place of fruit. They had different textures but were both amazing! I love that these are super simple and I can even make them when I'm out of eggs. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you use baby food for this? Or do you usually stick your fruit in a blender?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use fruit (especially my fruit that is a bit too ripe) I put in the blender. If you need liquid to blend it with melt your butter/coconut oil and use that. You could also use applesauce, mashed bananas, or left over squash/sweet potatoes if you don't want to blend something. Does this answer your question?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely. Excited to try these out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey, thank you for this recipe! My daughter has some food sensitivities and is picky as well. I am always worried about getting her to eat healthy food. I have been making these with applesauce, blueberries, spinach, and black beans as the pureed part. I grate in apples and zucchini and add some cinnamon and vanilla extract. It has become a joke about how much I add to them. My daughter loves them and I feel better knowing she is getting fruit, veggies, and a little protein. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Including black beans is brilliant! I am so glad you like them.

      Delete