Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mango Salsa


Fresh homemade salsa in the summer? YES, PLEASE! How can you resist those veggies?? (fruit...if we are technical.)

Oh. My. Goodness.

Ingredients:
8-10 Medium sized garden tomatoes
1 Red Onion
3 Mangos*
0 - 3 Jalapeno peppers
Fresh Cilantro, chopped, to taste
1 Tbsp Salt (or to taste)

1. Chop your tomatoes and onion up. Mix them in a Large bowl.
2. Dice your mangos and add them to the mixture. Here is a great video on how to dice a mango. We learned the checkerboard method when we lived in the Caribbean.




3. Deseed (or not) your Jalapenos and dice them up. I used three Medium sized jalapenos, got every seed out of each one, and our salsa wasn't hot at all. But if you've ever experienced jalapenos--you can't bank on them. :) I use surgical gloves to deseed and I don't take the gloves off until I'm finished handling the pepper, because only an idiot would cut up jalapenos, wash her hands and then harmlessly scratch an itch by her eye, right? The burning sensation is harmless. (Oy! Can you hear the sarcasm drip??)
4. Using scissors, cut the leaves of fresh cilantro and add them to the mix. We really love cilantro so we put in quite a bit--maybe 1/3 of a bunch.
5. Stir in the salt to taste and serve with your favorite chips!

HAPPY SUMMER!

Source: An Original from watching many people make many different types of salsa.


~Kara

5 comments:

  1. I've never made homemade salsa. I think, when I get the guts, I'm trying this one first. We LOVE mango!!! And...we love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy, but a little time consuming and messy. Sometimes, when I think about the time and mess, I get discouraged. Then I MAKE it and I NEVER regret it! Worth every minute.

      P.S. If this whole UT thing doesn't work out, I may come live with you. :)

      Delete
  2. You know you're always welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. add lime... it is amazing

    and chili powder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm-MM! That sounds delish! I'll have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete