Friday, June 22, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins (No Flour)

I've been looking for more recipes that don't include flour and/or dairy.  By way of Pinterest, I found this one!  *If you want a totally gluten-free version, simply use the gluten-free oats. =)

Ingredients:
3 Very ripe bananas, mashed 
1 C Vanilla Almond Milk (I used original flavor almond milk and it was still yummy) or cow's milk
1 T Coconut Oil (optional: helps to moisten the oats a little more and make the outer layer crisp) 
2 Eggs
1 T Baking Powder (Yes, Tablespoon)
3 C Old Fashioned, Quick,  or Gluten-Free Oats (I know, that's a lot of options ;)
1 tsp Vanilla
As many MINI chocolate chips as you like (I used about 1/2 C)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 375* (I put that in bold type because I seem to always forget this step)

First, mash your bananas

Mix together all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and 
let the batter sit while you're preparing the muffin tins. 
*This is really important in this recipe because it gives the oats a chance to release their natural thickening agent.* I was AMAZED at how these turned out looking like I had added flour.  

Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray or use muffin liners. 
Give your batter another quick stir as you add the chocolate chips.

Evenly divide the batter into approximately 15-18 muffins.  (Or 6 mini bundt ca)

Bake 20-30 minutes. My first time making this recipe I used regular muffin tins with liners. You can attempt to eat them while they're hot, but the muffin liners may not come off very easily.  You'll definitely have a better time getting them off when they're cool.  
Have I mentioned what a great texture these guys have?  Great texture. 

*Adapted from Green Lite Bites Banana Oatmeal Cups with Chocolate Chips


2 comments:

  1. These look amazing! (great pic!) I have a good friend who is gluten intolerant, and I'm always looking for a good recipe to make and share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily! Make sure you use the gluten-free oats, though. Regular oats are NOT gluten free. =)

    ReplyDelete