Saturday, May 5, 2012

Caprese Salad

I never even knew what a Caprese Salad was until I went on a cruise and saw it listed on the menu.  I tried it.  I...LOVED...IT!! Oh my goodness--so fresh.  And fresh basil--are you kidding me right now?  So awesome.  Anyway, after the most recent cruise, I decided we needed to try this at home and it is so easy to prepare.  I made some yesterday and got requests to make it again today.  This was our entree for supper for two nights in a row.  We probably ate the equivalent of a salad for two...each.  Yes, but didn't I tell you it was really good?  Try it.   See for yourself.  Let me know what you think.


Ingredients:
3 fresh tomatoes, sliced in 1/4-inch slices (Romas are good but you can also use cluster tomatoes)
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced in 1/4-inch slices
1/2 pkg. of fresh basil, chopped (or more, to taste)
Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1.  To plate your salad, alternate slices of tomato with mozzarella.
2.  Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
3.  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
4.  Salt and pepper to taste.

TIP:  I have used a white balsamic vinegar when I didn't want the brown liquid on my mozzarella.  It has a slightly sweeter taste.





2 comments:

  1. This is really tasty, especially when sprinkled with fresh black pepper and some kosher salt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, yep. That's what we do--either sea salt or kosher.

      Delete