Monday, December 31, 2012

My Favorite Carrot Cake!


This is the best carrot cake I have ever had! Even people who think they do not really like carrot cake LOVE this one! 

My mom is famous for this cake! Her co-workers always request this for their birthday, and she is asked to bring it to family and church activities all the time. This is a picture of the one she made for our family Christmas party. I wish there was a "scratch and sniff" and a way you could have a little nibble. The texture is so amazing...mmmmm...and the flavor is just perfect! It's very dense and so moist, and I love the nuts in it! But it's the icing that I dream about!

Mom's Famous Carrot Cake

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
1 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups shredded carrots (I like fine shreds)
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple (this is what makes it extra amazing!)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional - I like lots!)
1/2 cup raisins (optional - you'll never find them in MY cake!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or spray) a 9 x 13 pan.

2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs. Beat well. Stir in flour mixture, then carrots, pineapple, nuts (and raisins if you insist.)

4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until done in center.

Icing for Cake
(People have actually requested that my mom make an extra bowl of frosting, just so they can eat it by itself! This icing is AMAZING!!)

8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
6 TBSP butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans 
1 cup shredded coconut 

1. In medium bowl, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Then stir in nuts and coconut. Spread over cooled cake. It's sooooooo good! You are going to love it!

Notes:
Because this cake is so dense and moist, it might be difficult to make it into a 2 layer cake. Mom always keeps it one layer, which I think is perfect!



Source: My cute little mom, Brenda Joyner.


No comments:

Post a Comment