BEWARE: Once you take this dip to a party, it's the only thing your friends will ask for in the future. It is THAT GOOD! And I'm not even a Swiss Cheese fan. I mean, LOOK at all that cheesey goodness!
2 (9 oz) packages of Creamed Spinach*, thawed (found in the frozen veggie section)
3 2/3 Cups Shredded Swiss Cheese
3 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Cups Sour Cream
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 Loaf Sour Dough Bread
1. Mix all ingredients, except for the bread bowl, in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Using a knife (we use a steak knife), cut into the bread bowl diagonally, making a circle--much the same as a jack-o-lantern top-- and remove the top. Trim off extra bread to make the underside flat, and set both aside.
3. Cut all the way around the inside of the bread bowl, leaving 1/2" wall. Carefully remove the bread from inside the bowl. We try to leave fairly big chunks of bread. Store all the extra bread pieces in an air tight ziplock bag for later.
4. Empty the cheesey contents from the mixing bowl into the bread bowl.
5. Put the "lid" back on the bread bowl.
6. Wrap the entire thing in tin foil (we use 2 sheets. One wrapped one way, the other for the other way) and bake at 450 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Serve immediately with extra chunks of bread or your favorite crackers. Our favorites are Club and Multigrain Toppers, although really, ANY cracker will do! Refrigerate and reheat leftovers...if there are any.
*One time I couldn't find creamed spinach anywhere--honestly, what is WRONG with grocery stores these days? I used 1 10 oz. (or less) bag of frozen chopped spinach instead and it still turned out deliciously. Thaw the spinach and dab away any excess water with a paper towel. Kind of eyeball the amount you put in. There should be more cheese than spinach. Add a few Tbsp cream, evaporated milk, or regular milk to help with consistency.
When the dip is gone, rip into the bowl! Go ahead. Say, "Ahhh..." and take a bite!
Source: I can't remember, but Mr. Blue Eyes actually made this round of dip. So the credit is all his!