Monday, May 20, 2013
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Cake
Here's a twist on traditional strawberry shortcake that is super easy and one of those great make-ahead recipes that saves you time in the kitchen. I made it for my daughter's birthday since she loves strawberry shortcake. Try it, you'll like it!
2 packages of Hostess Shortcake Cups (8 cakes)*
1/2 gallon vanilla bean ice cream
15-20 ripe, fresh strawberries**
1/4 cup plus 3 T. vanilla sugar
whipped cream and chocolate syrup for adornment
1. Grease an 8 (or 9 inch) springform baking pan.
2. Tear shortcakes into 1 inch pieces and lightly press into the bottom of your baking pan.
3. Press slightly room temperature ice cream evenly over shortcake, smooth.
4. Freeze for 4 hours before removing the springform pan.
5. Top each slice of ice cream cake with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
Strawberry Topping Instructions:
1. Clean and cut stems from the strawberries.
2. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks and place into flat bottom dish.
3. Coat with 1/4 cup vanilla sugar and stir.
4. Wait 30 minutes, then crush strawberries with a potato masher.
5. Sprinkle remaining vanilla sugar over strawberries and stir.
*I used 3 packages (18 cakes) of the dessert spongecakes that you find in the produce section by the strawberries.
**I used regular sugar.