Friday, August 31, 2012

DIY All Natural Deodorant


Is this a recipe? Yes.  Should you serve it with a side veggies? No.  But you could confidently wear it to a special dinner feeling fresh and dry. You can even count on it to eliminate odors.  After my husband became allergic to one deodorant after another, we gave up and decided to search out a more natural alternative.  My friend Cindy introduced us to this recipe.  For us, it literally works--ALL DAY.  And the most important benefit is that you get to miss out on all of the harmful ingredients that you find in store-bought Antiperspirants.  You can find a list of those HERE.  And it's simple to make:

Ingredients:
1/3 C Coconut Oil (in it's soft solid stage, room temp. Somewhat resembling Crisco)

1/4 C Baking Soda (You know...the greatest--all-time--odor absorber!??)
1/4 C Arrowroot Powder* (found in the whole food section or baking aisle or a whole foods store)
    *I've recently researched that you could substitute Corn Starch for the Arrowroot Powder, but I haven't personally tried it.

Measure and mix all ingredients in a small or medium size bowl until smooth and looking a bit like this:
For a container, I used a small freezer jam jar. They're plastic with a nice tight-fitting lid...and just the right size!  I made the mistake of trying to stir it all together in the jar.  What a mess!  Eventually we got it...but please, learn from my mistake.
Now you're ready to use it!  All you need is a small amount on the end of your finger tip for each application (I was going to say "for each pit" but that didn't sound very lady-like...lol).  When you're applying the deodorant in a paste, like this, just rub it in until you feel the coconut oil softening or melting. Then you're good to go!

I've always wondered if I could somehow maneuver this mixture into an empty deodorant container. Hmm....Maybe I'll try it sometime.

*Make sure to store in a cool area.
*If your Coconut Oil does liquify after you've made the mixture (like...you forgot and left it in the bathroom while you took a steamy shower), just stir it well and return to a cooler area.
*If you don't over apply, this stuff will last you a long, long time!

--Jamie



3 comments:

  1. what!? that is really cool. i may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally recommend it, gals. It's a bit different rubbing your deodorant on like a lotion...but with all of the health benefits, it's TOTALLY worth it! I didn't mention this in the main post, but my hubby was battling major BO because of his allergies to other deodorants. I seriously didn't think we'd EVER find anything that would work. But..*Cha Ching!* WE DID!

    ReplyDelete