Friday, August 10, 2012

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes

I've had a great time lately trying out some new cupcake recipes. This one did not disappoint! I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch, so when I spotted this one online - I knew I had to make it.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes
(makes 2 dozen)

Ingredients 
Cinnamon Cake:
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
¾ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use the real stuff!)
¾ cup sour cream
1 boxed Vanilla Cake Mix (not white cake mix)
1/2 cup crushed Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder (Crush the cereal in a bag and then sift out 2/3 cup)

Directions 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, gently combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. Mix in sour cream.
4. Add cake mix and cinnamon and mix until smooth.
5. Stir in lightly crushed cereal.
6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Adjust the consistency using milk if it is too thick.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with cinnamon sugar and Cinnamon Toast Crunch squares.

3 comments:

  1. Do you mean 3/4 cup sour cream and a vanilla cake mix? I'm planning on making these for the BYU game this weekend and I want them to be perfect. I get totally nervous about baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! You most definitely caught my typo! You are exactly right in your thinking. (I'll correct that asap!) Also, make sure that you really get the cereal into a powder for the icing. The first time I made them I didn't and ended up with soggy pieces of cereal in the frosting :-(. GO BYU!! I'm so glad to have a fellow Coug reading the blog!

      Delete
  2. Okay, these turned out so well! The hubs asked if I can make some for him to take to work one morning. He claims they can be breakfast food because they have cereal in them! One thing though, the cake mix calls for some lightly crushed cereal to be added, but it doesn't say how much. I guessed and added about 1/3 cup and it turned out great. Thanks for such a fun recipe, I'll definitely be making them again!!

    ReplyDelete