Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cherry Bars



Photo by Anna

This is one of my favorite recipes and it survived from my college days in the 70s--okay I went to college in 1976 and graduated in 1980, if you must know.  I got it from my college roommate and it scores big time whenever I make it.  This is also really good with blueberry pie filling.  I am trying it with blackberry next time...


Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can cherry pie filling

Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla (or almond, a little less), 1 tablespoon water


1.  Mix all ingredients well, except cherry pie filling.

2. Spread 2/3 of mixture into buttered 9" x 13" pan--yes, buttered, not cooking spray.  There is a difference in taste if you spray.

3.  Pour pie filling on top and spread evenly.

4.  Spoon rest of dough, like dumplings, on top of pie filling.

5.  Bake at 350 for about 45-50 minutes .

6.  Let cool about 15 or 20 minutes and glaze while still warm.


Source:  Debbie Duke Cornell




No comments:

Post a Comment