Comfort Potato Salad
5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (pictured are gold, purple, and red potatoes from our garden)
1 1/2 c. mayo (NOT Miracle Whip!....wait, that's a mayonnaise culture thing)
1 tsp. celery seed
4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1. Clean potatoes gently in water and place in large pot. Cover with water to and at least an inch above the potatoes.
2. Boil potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
3. Drain potatoes and place them on a cooling rack set in a cookie sheet.
4. While potatoes are cooling, make the dressing in a large bowl.
5. When potatoes are cooled enough to handle (still warm is really yummy!) cut potatoes into bite-size chunks (leave the skin on) and place in the bowl with the dressing.
6. With a rubber spatula gently toss the cut potatoes until they are evenly "bathed" in the dressing.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: My Mom
My mother's recipe differs in that she:
- adds 1 large green pepper (chopped), 1 small onion (chopped), and 1 large jar of chopped pimento.
- uses red potatoes only (I find them too water-y).
- peels the potatoes before cutting them up.