Thursday, July 31, 2014

Last Minute Tortilla Bake

 
 
 
 
 
The other day my husband mentioned, in passing, that our daughter and her family were coming over that evening.  I had no plans for supper and no time to go to the store so I threw this dish together "on the fly."  It's not super amazing or anything, but it was tasty and filling and I was able to feed the 6 of us--which included my two grandsons, ages 4 and 2--from items I had at home.  Don't you love throwing things together and having them magically turn into a meal?
 
Ingredients:
12 corn tortillas
rotisserie chicken (left over from a previous meal)
Colby Jack Cheese
Salsa Verde (Herdez is a great brand, in the Hispanic Food section of your grocery store)
Purple bell  peppers (we picked these up at a local farmers' market and I thought they would be a fun garnish)
 
1.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
 
2.  Cover bottom of dish with 6 corn tortillas, chop or chunk the chicken and spread over the tortillas, spoon desired amount of salsa over top, and sprinkle with about half a cup or more of cheese.  Repeat layers one more time and sprinkle with purple bell pepper strips.
 
3.  Bake 30 minutes at 350 F., or until cheese is melted and tortillas are crispy on the edges.
 
I served this with a big bowl of cut up watermelon, stir-fried zucchini with Mediterranean seasoning, and a Roasted Corn Blend that I found at Sam's in the frozen vegetable section.  I stir-fried that with some olive oil.  Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment