Ingredients for Pie Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1. Cut shortening into flour in a bowl.
2. In another bowl mix egg, vinegar and water.
3. Stir both mixtures together into a ball.
4. Roll out on floured surface or press with hands into a pie pan.
Yield: 2 shells or one double crust.
Ingredients for Pie:
Pastry for 2 crusts (above)
Apples (about 6 large--my preference is 3 Gala and 3 Granny Smith)
1. Place one crust in pie pan, 9" deep dish is best.
2. Sprinkle 1 T. flour and 4 T. sugar over bottom crust.
3. Put in peeled and cut up cooking apples (Winesap are good), mounded in center.
4. Blend together in bowl 1 cup sugar, 2 T. flour, 1 t. cinnamon and 1/2 t. nutmeg. Pour over apples and dot with butter.
5. Place top crust over, seal around edges, and cut steam vents in top.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 45-60 minutes. Sometimes I cover the edges with foil until the last 10 minutes to avoid over-baking.
Sources: The Brew Family Cookbook, vol. II, "Strange Brew", Audrey Davis and Jill Crandall Robinson, circa 1980ish.