Thursday, October 25, 2012

Potato Soup




So,  I needed a slow cooker meal to have tonight so that I wouldn't have to spend so much time in the kitchen after work because my daughter and her family might be coming over for supper and Family Night.  I also had a sack of spuds to use, leftover from a beach retreat with my sisters.  Enter my Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook.  I love my slow cooker--really need to use it more often.  Anyway, Potato Soup sounded like a good idea and I just picked one of many recipes in the book.  SCORE!!  This was delicious!  And not as fattening as my normal stove-top recipe, because I usually add bacon drippings for flavor.  This recipe did not even need it.  Enjoy.


Ingredients:
6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 leeks, chopped (I didn't have any so I just added some minced garlic)
2 onions chopped (.......used dehydrated)
1 rib celery (actually had that!)
4 chicken bouillon cubes (I used chicken bouillon powder and added it to the water below)
1 T. dried parsley flakes
5 cups water
1 T. salt (I did that, but in retrospect, it was a little much)
pepper to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp.)
1/3 cup butter
13-oz can evaporated milk (that is not in the picture, because I was debating about using it.  I did    end up using it.)
chopped chives


1.  Combine all ingredients except milk and chives in slow cooker.



2.  Cover.  Cook on Low 10-12 hours, or High 3-4 hours (mine was more like 5 or 6 hours because I was at work for 5 hours).  Stir in milk during last hour.

3.  If desired, mash potatoes before serving.

4.  Garnish with chives.  Fresh would be better but I only had dried.


Source:  Jeanne Hertzog, Marcia S. Myer, Rhonda Lee Schmidt, Mitzi McGlynchey, Vera Schmucker, Kaye Schnell and Elizabeth Yoder in FIX-IT AND FORGET-IT, 2000 ed., p. 61. 


3 comments: