Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mormon Morsels: The Power of Music

I can't think of a time when music wasn't a part of my life. Since my early days in Primary, singing has always brought joy and happiness to my soul.

When I was a little girl, my mother and I would sing duets for Sacrament meeting or for Relief Society. One of our favorite duets to sing was Janice Kapp Perry's, "Speak to Me Gently". We would sing this on the Sunday before Mother's Day. One year, while singing in Sacrament meeting, my mother stopped singing and started crying. I didn't know why she stopped, but I decided I had better keep singing! I finished the rest of our duet alone. Afterwards, my mother shared with me how she felt the Spirit so strongly while singing that she started crying and had to stop. It was then that I learned how the Spirit speaks to each of us differently. Sometimes in response we feel that warm, fuzzy feeling; sometimes we feel so much we can't help but cry. Little did I know I would truly become my mother's daughter! When I sing or hear uplifting music, sometimes I feel the Spirit so strongly in my heart, all I can do is cry.

In the preface to the LDS hymnbook, the First Presidency shares their thoughts on Music.

"Music has power to provide spiritual nourishment. ... It provides power for us to express prayerful thoughts and bear testimony of sacred truths."

“Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns. Hymns move us to repentance and good works, build testimony and faith, comfort the weary, console the mourning, and inspire us to endure to the end."

Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles once said he was continually impressed with the power of music to comfort and counsel in a way that often exceeds the power of the spoken word.

This is one of my favorite Mormon Tabernacle Choir arrangements.



1 comment: